Faced with increasing amounts of waste, governments have reviewed available policy options and concluded that placing the responsibility for the post-consumer phase of certain goods on producers could be an option. Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) is a policy approach, under which, producers are given a significant responsibility (financial and/or physical) for the treatment or disposal of post-consumer products. Assigning such responsibility could provide incentives to prevent wastes at the source, promote product design for the environment and support the achievement of public recycling and materials management goals.
EPR may take the form of a reuse, buy-back, or recycling program. The producer may also choose to delegate this responsibility to a third party called producer responsibility organization (PRO), which is paid by the producer for used-product management. In this way, EPR shifts the responsibility for waste management from government to private industry, obliging producers, importers and/or sellers to internalise waste management costs in their product prices and ensure the safe handling of their products.
Horizon Recycling offers a unique Green Underwriting Service to fulfil a producer’s e-waste collection obligations under the EPR guidelines in E-waste Management & Handling rules, 2016. It is an established fact that up to 95% of india’s massive e-waste generation ends up in the informal sector. Therefore, there is a huge potential in tapping the informal e-waste sector to channelize the e-waste to formal recycling operations. At Horizon, we look at India’s vast informal e-waste sector as a solution profitable. Currently, informal to formal transfer of e-waste in unprofitable in India.
Electronic Recycle Mission
We manage and operates the Producer Responsibility Organization “Clean India Electronics Recycling Platform” (CIERP) to provide producers a sustainable, reliable and efficient option to comply with their extended producer obligations as prescribed in the CPCB’s Implementation Guidelines for E-waste (Management) Rules, 2016.
The broader, specific objectives of the PRO are to:
- Develop a fair, open, transparent and non-discriminatory basis for sustainable collection and recycling systems
- Promote and encourage the EEE recycling industry to adopt internationally harmonized recycling standards and best practices
- Foster an environment of partnership and collaboration between the formal recyclers and informal waste collectors.
Our services are:
- To provide an extended producer’s responsibility plan as legally required.
- To facilitate channelization of e-waste including the collection and environmentally sound recycling of electrical and electronic equipment according to the member producers’ obligations.
- To develop and roll out public awareness initiatives and campaigns to promote the program and enhance the disposal of equipment .
- To advise members on compliance obligations under the legislative regulations
Through outsourcing the process to the experienced partner and by signing up with CIERP, producers assure their compliance in regard to their EPR obligations while they benefit from economies of scale and burden relief.
For end-of-life electronic products, we offer customized take-back and recycling services. Our mission is to tap and utilize to the full all the economic and ecological advantages that enable an innovative return concept for your and your customers’ benefit.
Our services – Your benefits:
- Comprehensive, cost-efficient return network that is quality-assured according to uniform criteria and standards
- Legal conformity for all reportable waste materials
- Increased customer loyalty thanks to the combination of return and sales or disposal
- Resource efficiency and conservation through the development of closed material cycles